Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tiger & Tompong

Meet Tiger and Tompong... :) Tiger is a 10 years old male orangutan and Tompong is a 8-year-old female. If you look at the drawing, they are both doing their favourite pastime; mating attempts, as they both are still juveniles and are quite young to engage in such a subadult/adulthood activity. Male orangutans, in average, reach puberty in the age of 13-15 years old, while the females are sexually active when they reach 11-13 years of age, in average; much earlier than the males... Almost similar to humans I must say. Another interesting fact is, they mate the whole year round (just as humans do), and the gestation period or pregnancy takes in approximate eight and a half months.

Ok, I'll share more about the orangutans bit by bit in my upcoming posts. About this painting, I started doing it way earlier in September 2009, but I was so occupied with other things and could not find 'the mood' to finish it then. I continued doing it again on 10th March 2010 as I wanted to give it as a token of appreciation to the director of my department. I finished it on the morning of the same day and handed it to him and thank God he liked it! His only comment was, "What is his hand doing there?" haha! Just look at the painting and you will understand what he meant...

Yes, I love this painting :) Size 2' x 4'. I call it "Juveniles". By the way, "Tiger" is also the name of Sepilok's favourite beer :) And, "Tompong" is the name of our Sabahan local alcoholic drink... Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?

No comments: