Sunday, March 14, 2010

Catholic Engaged Encounter, Penang



















March 5-7, 2010

I and my fiance were all the time anticipating the moment when we would finally attend to this pre-wedding course; 'the weekend' as they called it.

We did not know what to expect. What seemed to be important to us was only the certificate to fulfill one of the criteria for us to be able to get married in the Catholic Church.

The first day was already so overwhelming. We were greeted by lovely people (presenting couples and also the team in charge). In the icebreaking session, we were asked to introduce ourselves by telling others the most attractive thing about our partners :). I did not know what to say, as to me my fiance was attractive all over! So I said the most attractive part of him is that he is very loving... he sure is. He said I'm most attractive because I'm kind... That touched the inner side of me.

There were sharing by presenting couples on their experiences in living their married lives. They touched on many topics, most of which we did not talk about during our courtship. We were asked to spend time together and discuss on important aspects that are considered vital in our future married life. We also planned for our future together; money, children, sexual relationship, priorities etc.

The sessions were all very interesting indeed and most of them brought tears to my eyes, they made me realize how important 'togetherness' is and how love plays the vital role in our couple relationship, in particular our married life. How important it is to live the romance, think more of 'US' rather than 'ME' and to accept each other's flaws and still be in love.

We learned that to love is a decision, not just mere euphoria. It is a decision to love our partner. It is life-giving. We learn to say things out to each other, not to be afraid to tell it to each other's face, and forgive each other. I particularly like one of the rules of argument, which is 'hold hands while arguing'. Boy, that sounded so new to me... Can we do that next time? I don't know... but I sure hope so!

But above all, we learned that God must always be the hearth of our relationship. There must be no third person, the only third 'person' allowed and must be there all the time is God. Marriage is a Sacrament, a life-long vow and is really SACRED.

We also had prayer session where we had our first couple prayer together. It was so surreal. We wrote our betrothal pledge to each other, and I received the best love letter ever from my loving fiance... a letter that I will keep and cherish for a lifetime...

CEE teaches us to love more and give more everyday to our relationship. It ended with lots of smiles and the air was so filled with Love... I knew at once that my love for my fiance becomes stronger now and I know that we are now"US".

To my fiance, you are God's gift to me, the answer to my prayers. My burning bush, thank you for choosing to love me despite my flaws and temperaments... I choose to love you too... May God help and bless "US".

No comments: